AUTUMN HARVEST BREAKFAST BOWLS
For the granola:
1.5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup raw pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup raw walnut halves
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds pepitas
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit
- 2 tablespoons butter (or fat of your choice)
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the butternut squash:
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or neutral oil of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples
- Greek yogurt
To prepare the granola: Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the oats, cooked quinoa, nuts, pepitas and dried fruit in a large bowl. Stir to distribute.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, then stir in the maple syrup, honey, pumpkin puree, spices, salt and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well-coated. Pour onto your prepared baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until toasty and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the butternut squash: In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients to coat.
- Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes then remove the lid and finish cooking until butternut squash is tender and glossy.
- Set aside to cool, or chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
- To serve: Add yogurt to a shallow bowl or serving dish. Top with granola, butternut squash and thinly sliced apple. Garnish with more cinnamon or maple syrup, if desired.