Jam-Filled Gluten-Free Muffins
1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour (or spelt flour, which contains gluten but is more easily digestible for many)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sliced almonds, plus 1/3 cup more for topping
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries, tossed in a tablespoon spelt flour
¾ cup jam of your choice
raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, almond meal, cinnamon, and almonds in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- In bowl of standing mixer, combine eggs, orange zest, orange juice, applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract; whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir until just combined, then fold in frozen raspberries that have been tossed in a little spelt flour.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, then use a small spoon to make a deep (1” or so) well. Stir the jam vigorously, then spoon a teaspoon in the well of each muffin. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a heaping tablespoon of sliced almonds and a little raw sugar if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the batter comes out clean. Remove from oven, and allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes before serving or transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container, and gently reheat in a 350 degree oven to “re-crisp” the top. These also freeze fantastically well!
Serves 12 muffins originally posted by Camille Styles